Sunday, June 7, 2009

Musing of an aspiring triathlete

So so I have started to focus my training more and thought I was doing good. I adapted an training program for an Olympic distance triathlon to fit my busy schedule. A Sprint distance 0.25 miles swim, 9 miles bike ride and 3 miles run this takes anywhere between 50min-2:30hours I did my first one in 1h15 which is pretty average. Some sprint have a little longer swim and bike ride. An Olympic is usually 0.9M swim, 25M bike ride and 6.2M run, it takes about 3:30-4hoo to finish them. After that you have the half ironman also known as the 70.3 which consists of 1.2M swim, 56M bike ride and 13.2M run and finally the insane distance the full ironman 2.4M swim, 112M bike ride, and 26.2 M run.
Anyways eventhough I am only planning on doing sprint triathlon I like to push my training a little or so I thought until I started talking with fellow newbie triathlete. They are training 6-7 days a week and usually do 2 sports/day! I have no idea how they managed to do that because I certainly don't find the inner motivation to do so. I am impressed I have to admit.
So I keep training at my pace and as my precious free time permits. I have to say when I am training I am focused and usually push myself.
I went swimming 1M at the Cove on Friday night. I got seasick from the swell though or maybe it was the lack of sugar in my body. I was at the tail of the pack but didn't feel like I was falling too far behind. After that the family picked me up and we went to surfside sushi for a delicious dinner of sushi.
Saturday we got up, the hubby went surfing while I stayed with the kids, I then went grocery shopping, followed by a 4M run without kids, lunch at rubios, afternoon at the Wild Animal Park, and dinner with friends pffff. I managed to even start a laundry ;) We went to dino mountain and the kids were not too happy with the dinosaur who made noises and moved a little. I found that the exhibition was really well done.
Sunday I was planning on riding with some girls I met but bailed when the rides was scheduled at 7:30am and was going up the coast. I mean even for me 7:30am on sunday is too early especially when I had a fair amount of wine the night before and went to bed at midnight! I was sooo happy I cancelled when the kids woke up at 9am!!!!
We went to their swimming lesson, MEC with her cutest bathing suit ever, followed by a 25 miles bike ride on my own with hills and everything. It was a great ride until I hit the 56 bike path and was welcomed by very strong head wind arghhhh. As I was coming up a very small hill I closed my eyes focusing on the pedal stroke just to realize when I open my eyes that I was heading right into the fence bording the bike path. This of course was immediatly followed by a pretty rough fall. It did take me 5 minutes to feel Ok to finish the stupid ride with a bloody knee, a very bruised shoulder and a wounded ego.
We had a nice little lunch in the patio and finished the day at Moonlight Beach park. The kids are watching the "5th element" since we can't stand another little einstein.
Yesterday I adapted a warm tomato salad recipe that a friend of mine made for a previous dinner and it was an absolute success so here it is:
- put small cherry tomato in a dish that can go in the oven
- coat with olive oil
- crush a clove of garlic
- add a little bit of balsamic vinegar
- sprinkle some salt
- put in the oven 200F for maybe 10 minutes so that the tomatoes are just soft.
- pour the content of the dish in a salad bowl, adjust the seasonning, add some diced kalamata olives, a little bit of fresh mozarella and fresh minced basil.

Enjoy!

No comments: