Friday, April 3, 2009

Good food...

Believe it or not I did start that post yesterday but since I didn't have any inspiration for a title I left it blank. Result it didn't save my wonderful prose ahahah.
I promised Bunny I would have a whole bunch of food posting and I did good for a week... I haven't posted any of my meals because a) I have been pretty lazy cooking lately and b) I have been pretty lazy posting lately.
I would just say that last thursday just before B's brother came to visit I decided to cook us a nice meal. That week I bought some pork roast at Whole Food and while surfing my favorite recipe site williams sonoma I stumbled upon this very unusual recipe that tickled my curiosity. I also had all the ingredients which made it perfect. I even took a picture which I will post later.

Pork roast with pears:
Ingredients:
3/4 cup packed fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves
1/4 cup packed roughly chopped fresh sage,
plus whole sage leaves for roasting
3 whole garlic cloves, plus 2 cloves, minced
Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
5 Tbs. olive oil
1 boneless pork loin roast, about 3 1/2 lb.,
halved horizontally
3 ripe red Anjou pears, halved lengthwise
4 leeks, white portions only, trimmed, halved
lengthwise and rinsed
2 tsp. all-purpose flour
1/4 cup dry white wine
1/2 cup chicken broth
2 Tbs. whole-grain mustard
1/4 cup heavy cream
Directions:
Position a rack in the lower third of an oven and preheat to 400°F.
In a mini food processor, process the parsley, chopped sage, whole garlic, salt, pepper and 3 Tbs. of the olive oil until a fine paste forms. Spread the mixture on the cut side of one half of the pork loin, then place the other half on top. Tie the roast together with kitchen twine and tuck whole sage leaves underneath the twine. Season the roast with salt and pepper.
In a 5 1/2-quart Dutch oven over medium-high heat, warm the remaining 2 Tbs. olive oil. Add the pears, cut side down, and cook until browned, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a plate. Add the pork to the pot and brown on all sides, about 8 minutes total. Transfer to a plate. Place the leeks, cut side down, in the pot in a single layer. Set the pork on top and place the pears along the sides of the pot.
Roast until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the center of the pork registers 140°F, 45 to 55 minutes. Transfer the pork to a carving board, cover loosely with aluminum foil and let rest for 10 minutes before carving. Transfer the leeks and pears to a platter.
Pour the pan drippings into a bowl and discard all but 2 tsp. of the fat. Warm the reserved fat in the pot over medium-high heat. Add the minced garlic and flour and cook, stirring frequently, for 30 seconds. Add the wine and cook, stirring frequently, for 1 minute. Add the broth and pan drippings and cook until slightly thickened, about 3 minutes. Remove the pot from the heat and whisk in the mustard and cream. Season with salt and pepper.

B's brother arrived on thursday at lunch, that evening we picked up some sushi. B bought some lemon drop mix along with some cosmolitan mixed. That evening we polished the bottle of lemon drop and the big bottle of sake! I was a little drunk that evening and screwed up the alarm clock which means I set it up for 5:30 instead of 6:30. I know I am crazy... I took the day off, but still got up at 6:30 to go for my swim.
I loved the swimm.... but wait I already post on that subject.

Away from the training and back to the cooking. On tuesday night my fridge was really really empty... Probably because I didn't make it to the grocery store this week. Anyways I had some bratwurst! I popped by neighbor and shopped for onion, and aple in her fridge! You gotta love neighbor ;)

Bratwurst in Aple compote
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 medium onion, sliced
2 Golden Delicious apples, peeled, cored, and each cut into 8 wedges
1 Turkish bay leaf or 1/2 California
8 precooked bratwurst or Weisswurst
1 cup dry white wine
2/3 cup heavy cream
1 tablespoon cider vinegar
1 tablespoon packed brown sugar

Heat butter and oil in a 12-inch heavy skillet over medium-high heat until foam subsides, then cook onion and apples with bay leaf, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper, stirring once or twice, until golden brown, about 6 minutes.
Meanwhile, split bratwurst lengthwise (not all the way through) and open up. Lightly brush cut sides of bratwurst with additional oil and transfer to a shallow baking pan (split sides up). I actually decided to pan roast them instead.
Add wine to apple mixture, then simmer, covered, until apples are tender, 6 to 8 minutes. Remove lid and briskly simmer until liquid is reduced by one third, about 2 minutes.
While apples simmer, broil bratwurst 4 to 5 inches from heat until browned, about 6 minutes.
Stir cream, vinegar, and brown sugar into apple mixture and briskly simmer until slightly thickened, about 2 minutes. Discard bay leaf and serve apple compote over bratwurst.
Because it is against my religion to follow a recipe to the dot, here are my little changes... a) I cooked my sausages in a pan b) I didn't have the mustard from the recipe so I used my normal dijon mustard.

That evening my neighbor tried some jerk chicken which she shared with us.... This was delicious so I decided to try a recipe of my own which we are trying tonight.
What else is new. I finally signed up for my first sprint triathlon. I am super anxious. I am training like crazy and still feel like running 4 miles is the end of the world! Hello shouldn't it be easier after training for a frigging half marathon but no. Everywhere I look people are running way faster than me so I'm mopping around. Thank god Bunny is the best shoulder to cry on! Oh god I'm pathetic.
This week end MAC is turning 5 and I will make him a great cake. We are jumping from dinosaur to star wars we will see where we end up

No comments: